Homeward is the planning and coordinating organization for homeless services in the greater Richmond region.
Our mission is to prevent, reduce and end homelessness by facilitating creative solutions through the collaboration, coordination and cooperation of regional resources and services.
The organization fulfills its mission to prevent and end homelessness in the Richmond region through three core areas of focus:
Identifying Needs and Trends
- Research and Evaluation – Homeward serves as the central resource for real-time community-level data including documented service outcomes. Findings are provided to public and private service providers and policy makers in the region.
- Homeward Community Information System (HCIS) – provides coordinated case management and the tracking of clients, program, and system level outcomes through a web-based, secure database. HCIS is our region’s adoption of the nationally mandated Homeless Management Information System (HMIS). The Department of Housing and Urban Development requires the use of an HMIS database for providers and communities receiving HUD funds.
Serving as a Community Catalyst for Change in Service Delivery
- System Coordination through the identification of gaps in the system of services as well as the facilitation of agency or program collaborations.
- Homeward also develops the community partnerships needed to implement systemic change initiatives like the Ten Year Plan to Prevent and End Homelessness in the Richmond Region.
Educating the Community for System Change
- Community Outreach – Homeward pursues and provides public education about homelessness and the service delivery system in our region through trainings and volunteer opportunities; presentations about our homeless services delivery system; annual publications and handouts; and access to service guides, data and analytical research.
- Technical Assistance is given to public and private sector service providers working with individuals and families experiencing homelessness or are at risk of homelessness.